At iSucceed, we provide our students with the connections needed not only to graduate, but to excel while in high school. That’s why we have special resources that allow you to leave iSucceed with even more than just a fully-accredited diploma.
Did you know learning a second language could help you improve your grades? According studies conducted by the National Council of State Supervisors for Languages, high school students who study second languages perform higher in reading, math and even standardized tests. What’s more, becoming bilingual is always a great excuse to go and travel to another country!
If you’re considering learning a new language, iSucceed is a great place to start! We offer Spanish to all grade levels. To help you learn more, we asked one of our Spanish instructors, Angela Hunter, some important questions, and have the answers for you here! Read on to learn more about taking foreign language courses at iSucceed.
Who can sign up for foreign language courses?
Any student may sign up for a foreign language course. The only prerequisite is to take the classes in order. For instance, a student must take Spanish 1A and 1B before moving on to Spanish 2A.
Why should a student take a foreign language course in high school?
According to Ms. Hunter, there are a number of reasons why you should take foreign language in high school. Check out the list below.
- Many higher education institutions are now requiring at least two foreign language high school credits in order to be admitted.
- Learning a foreign language provides students with the opportunity to explore new countries, customs and cultures. It helps students gain a broader view of the world.
- Knowing a foreign language gives students an edge in the job force as many employers seek this skill.
- Taking foreign language courses can actually help you understand your own language better. Taking a foreign language can help you in your English course!
- Experiencing a foreign language in high school can help you to gain a basic understanding of the language if considering a foreign exchange program or travel.
What are some benefits of learning a foreign language through iSucceed?
Learning a foreign language through iSucceed offers students the opportunity to work at their own pace. Learning a language can be difficult, but students are able to stay with a concept until they master it instead of being lost as the rest of the class moves on.
iSucceed also offers a variety of ways for students to display their learning such as discussions, projects, audio recordings, quizzes, workbooks and tests.
What advice would you give to a student wanting to learn another language?
If you really want to learn the language, Ms. Hunter says there is one main thing you should do in order to be fluent: Try to immerse yourself in it as much as possible. Below you will find a list of ways to achieve this.
- Listen to music in the target language.
- Watch movies in the target language. Use subtitles in English to aid in comprehension.
- Label things around you at home in the target language.
- Find a native speaker to practice speaking the language with.
- In addition to learning the language, also learn about the culture, as language and culture are connected.
- Find free online resources to aid in your learning. Play games and watch instructional videos to help you understand it better.
- Download a free app such as Duolingo and practice on the go.
- If possible, visit a country where the language is spoken.
- Visit a restaurant that serves traditional food and practice ordering and conversing in the target language.
But perhaps this is the most important piece of advice Ms. Hunter could give you:
“Don’t be afraid of making mistakes. That is how you learn! If you never dare practice conversation, you will never get anywhere. Have a sense of humor about your mistakes and move on.
Practice, practice, practice! When it comes to learning a foreign language, if you don’t use it, you lose it!”
– Angela Hunter, iSucceed Spanish instructor